Drawing food and little booklets

Wow!

03 - Trout smWordPress have featured my drawing in an article about food drawing bloggers!

“Have Your Cake and Draw it Too” – Food Illustrators Reflect on Taste and memory

I didn’t realise that it’d be landing in the real world so soon! Here’s my little contribution; basically an introduction to me and my drawing.

One of my primary motivations for drawing my food was documentation; usually when we go out for a meal it is to either to simply to have a lovely experience or to even celebrate, with friends and family.

When I look back at a foodie drawing – it often transports me back to that time and place; I am able to recall sights and sounds and smells at that location and better remember the whole experience.

Of course, the real trick is to not just draw a picture of the food, but to try to capture a sense of freshness, of heat, of liquidity – all the elements which make a simple dish into something appealing and mouth-watering.

I’d like to think that sometimes I am able to capture that particular lightning in a bottle – to evoke in a foodie drawing those elements which can make the viewers mouth water and create a sense of desire.

The reason why I prefer drawing over photography (although I do photograph my foodie subjects for reference purposes) is that drawing adds personality to the subject.

Taking photographs and drawing both incorporate skill and personality; but whilst photography works via the medium of technology, drawing works via the simplest medium of something as basic as a pencil. The creative can be far more involved in the creation of their work therefore.

I always feel like a lot more of my personality has been used and is on show when I create a drawing.

The word ‘quirky’ is often used to describe my work.

This isn’t something which I have strived for, but rather is a mark of my personality upon the work.

Head on over to my Etsy shop for a couple of little booklets I’ve penned about drawing food.

IMG_3737IMG_3736

And I’ve also made a set of cards to offer a little bit of inspiration for drawing your food too!IMG_3423

I’ve been a bit quiet on this blog for a week or so; the school term has been wrapping up, so I’ve been having to cross t’s and dot i’s and try to reach the end-point with everything completed that needs to be completed and retain my sanity too!

I’ve been working on another little booklet – something a little more interactive (no, not another colouring book!) – initially as an idea for myself, but I thought it might be fun to share it – another week, or thereabouts to finish the drawing work, and I should be ready to start scanning and getting it printed.

Advertisements

16 Comments on “Drawing food and little booklets”

1. dapplegrey says:

Congratulations – I love your work and was so glad to see you featured by WordPress. Richly deserved!

2. Wow! Thank you 🙂 It felt like such a huge privilege. Now I’ve finished with teaching for the next little while I hope to be able to post a little more! I think it was the American Creative, Trixie Pash who once said that she didn’t get a big break, just lots of little cracks! And that’s what it feels like to me –

Liked by 3 people

3. Lucifer says:

This article is very inspiring .
    I like drawing everything I see around and often run out of subjects .
    Art on food is entirely a different platform and I ought to try it because of your inspiration.

4. lillithpendleton says:

Congratulations on the feature. Fun and beautiful work. Can you tell me.. what separates illustration from drawing? Or is illustration a fancy word for drawing?

5. bellefemme9 says:

Fantastic!!! LOVE your art and completely agree (how it takes you back to a time)! Excited to follow and enjoy all that you do 👍🏻

6. Thank you 🙂 just travelling on my way back from a huge International sketching symposium at Manchester – got to meet lots of artists and illustrators – a lot were travel sketchers and loved the way that their drawings transported them back to those faraway places once they returned home 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. Thank you 🙂 It was awesome to be contacted by WordPress about this, you’re right!! Hmm… Illustration and drawing … Well I guess the two can be interchangeable to some extent, although illustration does suggest something that is, perhaps, a little clearer or making a point about something. (Pretty much a fancy word for drawing, yup!)

Liked by 1 person

8. bellefemme9 says:

Great opportunity I’m sure!

9. Libby Sommer says:

congrats on being featured on WordPress. as i read the post this morning i thought, i should have asked Matthew for a food drawing for my post yesterday titled ‘Off with his head’ https://libbysommer.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/off-with-his-head/ i wrote about the ‘feedback sandwich’ and had a picture of a hamburger. are your drawings available for people like me to use on blog posts? Libby

10. devanganab says:

Reblogged this on dbc95 and commented:
    Someone fantastic. As usual.

11. Thank you 🙂 I don’t mind you using a picture (as long as you give me an acknowledgement)

Liked by 1 person

12. Libby Sommer says:

thanks Matthew. yes, if i use a pic i will definitely acknowledge you. Libby

13. dianamarko says:

Congratulations!!! You have a very nice feed, I enjoyed reading it!!

14. Nice work!! Food illustration is the best kind. 😉

15. wow! your work is so gorgeous! i also illustrate some foods, hope i can be as productive as you do! https://andietafoodjourney.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/indonesian-food-fun-fact-1-takir-pandan/